The grant is targeted to help high-need schools and districts cover the upfront costs often associated with the startup and implementation of breakfast in the classroom and “grab n’ go” programs, such as purchasing equipment, outreach efforts to parents, program promotion, and other related expenses.
Eligible schools must meet the following criteria:
- Either 70 percent or more students qualify for free or reduced-price (FRP) meals, or else the school operates community eligibility;
- Average daily participation (ADP) in school breakfast is at 50 percent or less; Able to serve breakfast in the classroom at no charge to all students after the morning bell;
- Strong stakeholder support from school leadership and staff;
- 3-year commitment to making reasonable efforts to continue the program; and
- Willingness to promote the program through social media and school district communication channels
Priority will be given to schools with a low cost per child ratio and School Districts that are new to Breakfast in the Classroom or Grab n’ Go.
The grant funding is awarded by each individual school’s needs. School systems have been awarded from $5000 for individual schools and up to $800,000 for districts. The school system applying for funding can use the grant award to complete the following:
- Purchase more Equipment and supplies to successfully implement programming
- Coolers and hotboxes
- Grab n’ Go kiosks
- Portable point-of-sale computer equipment
- Additional refrigeration to store milk or other breakfast items
- Trash cans, recycling bins, and/or trash bags
- Additional Staffing Requirements
- Staff support and training for the implementation of the new breakfast model
- Training for school building staff in the funded schools
- Tool-kits for educators and support staff
- Direct technical assistance from a food service consultant who will assist with a self-assessment and work with target schools as they develop action plans
- Pest Control or Other services that will make implementation easier
Rolling Applications – applicants will be notified 3-4 weeks after submission.